The stuffing in step 1 can be made up to a day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Per mushroom: 18 calories, 1 g fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbs, 122 mg sodium, 1 g protein, 0 g fiber
- 3 ounces day-old white bread (about 3 slices) crusts removed
- 2 scallions white and light-green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ounce dry Monterey Jack or Parmesan grated on small holes of box grater
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 48 button mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds) stems removed and caps cleaned
Pulse the bread in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Place the scallions, bell pepper, and goat cheese in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped and well combined. Transfer mixture to the bowl with the bread crumbs, and stir. Stir in the cilantro, half the grated Monterey Jack, salt, and pepper.
Heat oven to 350 degrees; position rack in the center of oven. Place mushroom caps, cups facing upward, on a large cookie sheet. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of stuffing mixture into each cap. Bake until mushrooms are tender and filling is hot, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove mushrooms, turn oven to broil, and position rack about 4 inches from broiler. Sprinkle mushrooms with remaining grated cheese, and broil until cheese is golden, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 2000