Grilled Fresh Sardines
The modest sardine turns into a delectable appetizer when grilled with salt, pepper, and a brush of olive oil. The oil delivers omega-9s, which, like omega-3s, lower "bad" cholesterol.
- 8 medium whole fresh sardines (about 1 pound total), gutted, rinsed inside and out, and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 inch baguette (about 4 ounces), cut diagonally into 16 thin slices
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
Brush both sides of fish using 1 tablespoon oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Rub cut sides of bread with garlic. Brush with remaining oil, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Grill bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side. Grill sardines until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve on a platter with bread and lemon wedges.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2007