One-Pot Chicken Dinner
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 star anise
- 1 3-to-4-inch-long cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halves
- 4 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small carrot, julienned into 1 1/2-inch-long strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium portobello mushroom, stem discarded, cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces, and halved
- 6 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
In a stockpot, combine chicken stock, star anise, cinnamon stick, and savory. Cook, covered, 15 minutes. Add the chicken, and poach, uncovered, on medium heat, until just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles, and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Strain, and place under cold running water to stop cooking. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook the leek, celery, carrot, and garlic until softened, about 6 minutes. Add portobello. Cook 5 minutes. Remove star anise and cinnamon from broth; add broth to the sauteed vegetables. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; cook 10 minutes.
Slice chicken on the bias 1/4 inch thick. Add chicken, noodles, and spinach to broth. Over medium heat, cook until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Ladle mixture into individual bowls, and serve immediately.