Codfish with Herbed White-Wine Lemon Sauce
- 4 codfish fillets (about 6 ounces each)
For the Sauce
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup capers, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed mixed herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, chervil, dill, and thyme, roughly chopped
For the Garnish
- 1 lemon, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Combine shallot, wine, and juice in a small skillet; set over high heat. Bring to a boil; simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter, capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pinch of pepper, and three quarters of herbs. Set aside; keep warm.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 3 tablespoons sauce. Season both sides of fillets with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Arrange fillets and lemon slices in skillet; sprinkle with some herbs. Cook until fillets are golden, about 4 minutes. Turn, sprinkle with remaining herbs, and cook until fish is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve with lemon slices and remaining sauce.