Apple, Walnut, and Endive Salad
Be sure to use crisp apples with a tart edge, such as Empire or Winesap, for this salad. Per serving: 272 calories; 5 g protein; 23 g fat; 13 g carbs; 2 g fiber.
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Body+Soul, September 2007
- 1/3 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 red apples, quartered, cored, and each quarter cut into 8 wedges
- 3 ounces baby arugula, washed and dried (6 cups)
- 1 Belgian endive, leaves separated, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
In a small skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts, stirring frequently until crisp and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, shallot, and vinegar until well combined. Whisk in the oil until thick; season with salt and pepper.
Add apple and arugula; toss to coat. Arrange endive leaves on four serving plates, top with apple mixture and scatter mint, cheese, and walnuts over the top.