Annatto Rice With Sausage and Tomato
Reminiscent of saffron but less expensive, annatto can be found in Latin groceries. For a version of the recipe with saffron, try Yellow Rice with Sausage and Tomato.
- 3 tablespoons grape-seed oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons annatto seeds
- 1 small red chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound vegetarian or organic chicken sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 4 small bay leaves, broken in half
- 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium saute pan, heat the oil and annatto seeds over medium heat until sizzling. Lower the temperature and cook until the oil turns yellow, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove annatto seeds and discard.
Reheat the annatto oil over medium-high heat. Saute chile and garlic, stir, and cook for 30 seconds. Add sausage, tomato, and bay leaves; cook and stir until heated through.
Stir in cooked rice. Remove and discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.