Almond Cakes with Fresh Fruit
If you prefer, bake this cake in a 9-inch cake pan for 45 minutes.
- 2 cups assorted summer fruit, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, and figs
For the Batter
- 18 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely ground blanched almonds (1 ounce)
For the Garnish
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 4 sprigs mint, optional
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter eight 3 1/2-by-1 1/2-inch brioche molds; set aside. In electric mixer, combine butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar; beat on medium until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in whole egg and yolks until combined. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla until combined.
Add flour and almonds; combine. Spoon batter into prepared molds, banging bottoms to compact batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees; bake until golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
Slice fruit into bite-size pieces, and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and lemon juice. Let fruit stand 5 to 10 minutes. Dust cakes with confectioners' sugar. Serve with fruit, and garnish with mint.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 1997