Shrimp and Cod Burgers
Sweet shrimp and fish ground together form a rich, juicy burger. This recipe blends the perfect amount of scallion, parsley, and lemon juice to hone and polish its flavor. Serve the sandwich with a lemon wedge and a dish of tartar sauce, if you wish.
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: MSL Cookbook Vol. 2; The New Classics
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces cod, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup drained capers, rinsed
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 hamburger buns
- Red-leaf lettuce, for serving
- Tarragon Tartar Sauce
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Process half of the shrimp in a food processor until a paste forms. Add cod, remaining shrimp, the breadcrumbs, capers, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until just combined.
Using dampened hands, shape into 4 patties. Refrigerate, covered, until cold and firm, about 1 1/2 hours (or overnight).
Preheat grill to medium-high (if using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand above grill for just 3 to 4 seconds). Brush grill and burgers with oil. Grill, flipping once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Toast buns on grill during the last minute of cooking, if desired. Serve burgers on buns; top with lettuce. Serve with tartar sauce, if desired, and the lemon wedges.