Braised Escarole with Currants
Per serving: 112 calories, 5 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 11 g carbs, 175 mg sodium, 4 g protein, 6 g fiber
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce slivered almonds (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed (optional)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
- 2 bunches escarole (about 2 1/2 pounds), cleaned, drained, and torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup currants
Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-low heat. Add pepper flakes; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garlic and almonds; cook until light golden, about 3 minutes. Add anchovies; stir until mashed and well combined with oil mixture. Add sherry; cook until most of liquid has evaporated. Add stock and sugar; stir until sugar has dissolved.
Add escarole in batches, tossing and adding more as it wilts until all has been added to pan. Cover; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Add the currants, and cook until the escarole is tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 2001