1 of 12
Cheese Sees No Age
The sandwich you know and adore is no longer just for kids. Elemental in its construction and primal in its comfort, grilled cheese is the sandwich that's as easy to make as it is to love. The American-single-on-white version, with its soft melted cheese, golden-brown crust, and irresistible buttery warmth, is the delicious classic. But grilled cheese also knows how to take a sophisticated turn. Here are 10 grown-up versions that use the iconic sandwich as a blank canvas for orphan morsels of every kind in your fridge.
2 of 12
Gruyere, Prosciutto, Arugula, and Tomato on White
With Gruyere cheese and layers of prosciutto, arugula, and tomato, this sandwich is a merger of grilled cheese and a BLT.
3 of 12
Fontina, Harissa, and Pear on Rye
A new use for that jar of harissa, this sandwich benefits from the appealing fusion of sweetness and spice.
4 of 12
Gruyere, Apple, and Sage on Rye
Crisp apple combined with a creamy, nutty Gruyere balances the earthiness of sage and rye.
5 of 12
6 of 12
Cheddar, Dijon Mustard, Bacon, Tomatoes, Avocado, and Pepper on Sourdough
Dijon mustard and black pepper cut through the saltiness and fattiness of the avocado and bacon.
7 of 12
Gruyere, Red Onion, Prosciutto, and Pepper on Rye
With its peppery finish, this combo is reminiscent of a Reuben sandwich.
8 of 12
Cheddar, Jalapeno, and Cilantro on White
A little heat from the jalapeno goes a long way, and the cilantro adds brightness.
9 of 12
Gruyere, Oil-Packed Sardines, Peppadew Peppers, and Arugula on Rye
The king of melting cheeses can handle the flavor explosion from the sardines and the peppers.
10 of 12
Cheddar, Cherry Preserves, and Basil on White
Creamy cheddar meets tangy cherry preserves and the fresh taste of basil.
11 of 12
Fontina, Oil-Packed Tuna, and Relish on White
A full-flavored tuna melt with hints of sweetness.
12 of 12
Cheddar, Bacon, and Pickles on Sourdough
A dose of acidity from the pickles is the perfect complement to bacon and cheddar.
You Just Viewed
Grown-Up Grilled Cheese SandwichesReplay
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Decorate with Brass
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- New Year's Heave: Our Organizing Resolutions
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- A Blueprint for Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains