1 of 13
A Colorful Surprise
Put blue food coloring in the milk before serving a meal or snack, and watch your children's eyes widen in surprise.
2 of 13
Who Cut the Power?
Tape down the phone button so the person who picks up the receiver will think the line is dead.
3 of 13
A Surprise Shower
Wrap a rubber band around the kitchen sink sprayer so whoever turns on the faucet gets a big, wet surprise.
5 of 13
Who Will Bug Out?
Place a big ol' fake roach in the slipper of the family member who's likely to scream the loudest.
6 of 13
A Tricky Tint
Green eggs and bacon is a twist on Dr. Seuss -- just add green food coloring to eggs until they are the desired color.
7 of 13
Rearrange your spouse's drawers to make him wonder if he's still asleep.
9 of 13
Salt in the sugar bowl is a classic switcheroo.
10 of 13
A Savory Surprise
A mashed-potatoes-and-gravy sundae is a good gag for the afternoon, when everyone thinks the jokes are over.
13 of 13
More April Fools' Day Tricks to Try
Alarming Alarm Clock
Set someone's alarm clock an hour early. Or set a bunch of clocks to go off at the same time, and hide them around the room for a noisy wake-up call.
Tape a dollar or a quarter to the floor in a high-traffic area, and watch the parade of clowns bend down and unsuccessfully try to pick it up.
Confuse callers by leaving the following outgoing message on your answering machine: "Hello? [pause] Hello? [pause] Is anyone there? [pause] April Fools'!"
This old classic never gets old: Short-sheet a bed by tucking in both ends of the top sheet at the head of the bed. When the fool crawls in, her feet will stop short.
Insert a raisin into a tube of toothpaste. The unsuspecting person who squeezes it will be dismayed by what comes out onto his toothbrush.
Infested Ice Cubes
Pop some plastic ice cubes (the ones with toy flies or ants inside) into your guests' drinks, and watch their expressions go from thirst to horror.
You Just Viewed
April Fools' Day PranksReplay
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- A Blueprint for Color
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Decorate with Brass
- The Barest Simmer
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas