1 of 10
The Isaac Bell House, in Newport, Rhode Island, designed by McKim, Mead & White and built in the early 1880s, was a precursor of modern architecture.
2 of 10
Conservators have left a reception room unrestored. Even in this state, visitors can "read" the story of the house: the easy flow from room to room, the open-plan layout, and the organic color palette.
3 of 10
Stained- and leaded-glass windows fashioned with organic shapes echo the house's colors: robin's-egg blue, red, and brown.
4 of 10
A brass andiron made to look like a sunflower is original to the house's era, but not to the house itself.
5 of 10
A wallpaper reproduced by Scalamandre has a gilded Japanese wave pattern; the original wallpapers were French and attributed to the company Balin.
6 of 10
The front hall is rooted in the English Arts and Crafts style. McKim, Mead & White designed this inglenook and paneled it with pieces of carved beds made by craftsmen in Brittany, France -- essentially recycling folk items into a custom design. They are laid over polished tin, which reflects and stipples light like the brushstrokes of an Impressionist painting.
7 of 10
A detail of the ornate paneling.
8 of 10
Woven rattan, a common Japanese material, was used for the dining room walls and ceiling. (In the mid-19th century, trade routes were opened to Japan by Commodore Matthew Perry, a Newporter, and that country's art and architecture were all the rage for decades.)
9 of 10
North African braziers serve as decorative elements against the rattan.
10 of 10
The living room door is on rollers, like a barn door might be; the gilded wallpaper was reproduced in France by Atelier Offard.
You Just Viewed
Isaac Bell House in Newport, RIReplay
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- The Barest Simmer
- Decorate with Brass
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- A Blueprint for Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold