1 of 13
David Culp and Michael Alderfer have spent 20 years building, planting, and refining this garden 30 miles west of Philadelphia so that it offers colorful vistas year-round.
Here, spring awakens the hillside with red Helleborus 'Brandywine' and Narcissus 'Ice Follies.'
2 of 13
In summer, Hosta 'Blue Umbrellas' and Disporum sessile 'Variegatum' cover the terrain.
3 of 13
In spring, yellow daffodils and pink Prunus 'Okame' lend colorful splashes to the vista in back.
4 of 13
Take a Seat
Narcissus 'Ice Follies' and Rohdea japonica surround a wooden bench, creating a lush enclave.
5 of 13
This is no garden-variety landscape. Helleborus 'Brandywine,' daffodils, glory of the snow, and tulips in bud make up a multihued mosaic.
6 of 13
Hydrangea quercifolia and H. serrata add vivid hues; yellow Corydalis lutea covers the wall.
7 of 13
The hill becomes a verdant terrain in summer; Hydrangea quercifolia and two hosta cultivars, 'Blue Umbrellas' and 'Blue Angel,' line the path.
8 of 13
Camellia-like white petals grace the Stewartia koreana tree.
9 of 13
Variegated foliage defines Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' and looks bright against a dark patch of Heuchera; behind, Fallopia japonica, wild when planted in rich garden soil.
10 of 13
Come fall, red foliage makes this sumac (Rhus) stand out.
11 of 13
Aster oblongifolius 'October Skies' flowers late into the fall season.
12 of 13
In the foreground, the flowers of Hydrangea serrata have faded to red; oakleaf hydrangea decorates the background.
13 of 13
There's no better place to take in fall's most vivid scenery than from a rustic chair set amid the hillside's autumnal oasis; the landscape includes the purple leaves of Cornus florida, yellow Magnolia macrophylla, and white ghost bramble (Rubus cockburnianus).
You Just Viewed
A Shade Garden: Season by SeasonReplay
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Decorate with Brass
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- A Blueprint for Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains