1 of 6
Seasonal BountyReplace summer annuals in window boxes with an indulgent mix of flowers and greenery in shades that evoke the time of year.
2 of 6
Flowers and FoliageIn this window box, the flowers of Chrysanthemum x 'Sheffield Pink' are combined with Heuchera 'Plum Pudding' and 'Amber Waves,' Berberis 'Bagatelle,' and Cryptomeria japonica 'Compressa.'
3 of 6
Dwarf TreeA burgundy Acer palmatum 'Sharp's Pygmy', set in a sleek pot and top-dressed with moss, is simple and striking. Dwarf trees can live several years in containers -- use well-draining soil, take care that the root ball is watered thoroughly, and prune if, as it grows, the tree becomes unwieldy.
4 of 6
Blooming BrightUsing a mix of clay bowl-shaped containers and traditional flowerpots in various sizes adds interest to this abundant patio display. Colors in the surrounding landscape are echoed by the tawny yellow of 'Delta Pure Orange' pansies and the fiery red of Spiraea 'Lemon Princess.' Red-tinged S. 'Goldflame,' 'Delta Pure Violet' and pale 'Antique Shades' pansies, cabbage, and kale, such as 'Redbor' and 'Chidori Red,' all complement these hues.
5 of 6
Standing TallPlants in twenty-eight-inch-tall terra-cotta pots flank a wooden gate.
6 of 6
Trailing PlantsNandina domestica 'Plum Passion,' a type of heavenly bamboo, is juxtaposed with trailing plants: deep-maroon beets (Beta vulgaris 'McGregor's Favourite'), variegated ivy(Hedera 'Golden Ingot'), purple Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip,' and the pale-green Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea.'
You Just Viewed
Autumnal Container GardensReplay
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- A Blueprint for Color
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Decorate with Brass
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways