1 of 10
Dessert and a Movie
You don't need lots of space or special equipment to throw an outdoor movie party. You can put out chairs in the backyard, or spread blankets on the grass. Hang a sheet instead of using a screen. For the entertainment, visit your local video stores (a lot of interesting material is found under "Other"), check online movie-rental sites, and stop by your local library -- many have excellent selections. A feature-length film is fine, but shorts are ideal. With shorter selections, you wind up with something for everyone.
2 of 10
3 of 10
4 of 10
Want to throw a movie party yourself? Heed these been-there-done-that tips and your event will come off without a hitch.
Contact an audio-visual rental business in your area or look online.
It can be tricky to use unless you're experienced at it. An LCD projector is less complicated and more readily available. Be sure to ask the rental company for any safety considerations regarding outdoor use.
Consider testing the lighting, power, and sound the night before. Then, take care of everything technical before your guests arrive so the show is ready to go with the touch of a button. A technical delay will make the show run longer, and kids can get antsy quickly.
In Case of RainGet the Peach-Raspberry Slab Pie Recipe
Have a back-up plan. If there are unexpected drops, unplug equipment at the source immediately and move it indoors.
10 of 10
You Just Viewed
Dessert and a MovieReplay
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- The Barest Simmer
- Decorate with Brass
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- A Blueprint for Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains