This holiday, feast on baked ham, vibrant produce, and billowy meringue that takes the cake.
The meat counter at your market is likely to carry a few different kinds of ham. Choose half a smoked bone-in ham labeled "fully cooked."In this recipe a country-style ham would be too dry and salty.
To save time, the asparagus in this bright salad can be cooked, cooled, and dried, and then wrapped up and refrigerated up to a day in advance.
You can bake the galette and Glazed Ham at the same time!
The cake layers can be baked, cooled, and wrapped in plastic up to a day ahead. Just before serving, spread filling over one layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge, then assemble the cake.
The Next Day
Add crunch to your lunch with this soup that features split peas, ham, and homemade whole-wheat croutons. You'll turn to this split pea soup with ham all winter long -- especially when you need to warm up!
Shopping List :
Ham with Apricot Mustard Sauce
- Half a bone-in cured smoked ham, butt end (about 7 pounds)
- 2 cups apricot jam
- 1/4 cup mustard powder
Asparagus, Peas, and Radishes
- 3 pounds asparagus
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 bunch (1 pound) radishes
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon
Leek and Potato Galette
- 3 pounds baking potatoes
- 1 leek
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese
Meringue-Frosted Cake with Raspberry Filling
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 ounces frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup raspberry preserves
- Salt: course, table
- Ground pepper
-Butter: salted, unsalted
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Pure vanilla extract
Up to 1 Day Ahead
- Cook, cool, and dry asparagus. Wrap and refrigerate.
- Prepare apricot mustard sauce; cover and refrigerate.
- Bake cake layers, and cool. Wrap; store at room temperature.
- Peel potatoes, cover with water, and refrigerate. Slice and wash leek, grate cheese, and refrigerate.
Several Hours Ahead
- Six hours before cooking, bring ham to room temperature. Start baking 2 1/2 hours before serving.
- Assemble and bake potato galette 70 to 80 minutes before ham is done. Just Before Arriving
- Finish preparing asparagus and peas; carve ham. - Warm apricot mustard sauce.
- Prepare meringue; fill and frost cake; brown top.
-Set the table with these favors and table decorating ideas.