Keeping a well-stocked pantry is important -- if you're working and cooking for a family, finding the time to plan, shop for, and prepare weeknight meals can be a challenge, especially if you are trying to keep household expenditures under control.
Here are some basic items that Everyday Food editor Anna Last keeps in her pantry; depending on your cooking style, you may want to expand on these items.
- Cans of tomatoes, beans, and chickpeas
- Can of tuna in water and in olive oil
- Carton of chicken stock
- Pasta (different kinds: spaghetti, penne, etc.)
- Rice, basmati, and couscous
- Extra-virgin olive oil, red-wine vinegar, and dijon mustard
- Pepper corns, sea salt, and red-pepper flakes
- Anchovies, capers, garlic, and Parmesan cheese
Use these pantry essentials to make Spaghetti with Garlic and Chile for an easy dinner in a pinch.