Practice the patterns on a piece of scrap felt first, since placing holes in correct order is tricky.
Tools and Materials
- Felt in red and white
- Stocking template
- Decorative punches (teardrop-shaped, hole-shaped, etc.)
- Needle and thread; sewing machine
- Scallop scissors
- Tiny bells for embellishing
Jingle Bell Stocking How-To
1. On four pieces of felt, trace stocking template -- use one color felt for stocking back and front and a contrasting color for lining. Draw a grid of 1-inch squares on reverse of exterior stocking pieces, then draw crisscross lines. Use grid to map designs.
2. Use punches of various shapes and sizes to work designs of your own liking. For snowflake pattern: With a pencil, transfer design in illustration onto stocking, starting at toe and repeating until pattern covers both back and front of stocking. The "horizontal" and "vertical" teardrops are 1/2 inch from center point; "diagonal" teardrops, large holes, and small holes are, respectively, 1/4 inch, 1 inch, and 1 1/4 inches from center point. To work pattern, fold felt along a grid line two squares off center point; using teardrop- or hole-shape punch, punch out design through both layers of fabric. When punch can no longer reach design, refold felt, and continue punching.
3. To assemble stocking: With lining on outside, sew the four pieces together with a 1/4-inch seam allowance, leaving top edge open. Along the heel, toe, and ankle curves, cut notches and slits into front of ankle. Trace the cuff template onto a piece of felt, and cut out; cut long edge with scallop scissors, and punch one hole in each scallop. Sew short sides of the cuff together, using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. With the seams on the outside, slide cuff over the top of the stocking, and -- lining up the straight edges and seams -- machine-stitch together, using a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
4. Turn stocking inside out, and fold down cuff. Using pattern on the template, cut out the hanging loop; hand sew in place right inside the top of the stocking. Sew bells on the edge of the cuff or at center of snowflakes.