Tools and Materials
Coarse homespun linen
Needle and thread or sewing machine
After making this stocking, embellish it with a poinsettia motif using a technique called ribbon embroidery, in which ribbon is threaded on a needle and used to stitch patterns.
1. Download stocking template and enlarge to desired size on a photocopier.
2. Trace two stockings onto fabric with tailor's chalk (positioned as mirror images, not side by side); cut out.
3. Pin shapes together, right sides facing. Stitch around perimeter of stocking as shown near right, leaving a 1/4- inch seam allowance and cuff edges unsewn.
4. Cut notches in the seam allowance around toe and heel as shown.
5. Create fringe by pulling out threads at top of stocking.
6. Turn stocking right side out, and stitch cuff edges, as shown at far right. Fold cuff down.
7. To make a loop for hanging, cut a 2 1/2-by-12-inch piece of fabric; fold in half lengthwise, right sides facing, and stitch along open edge, leaving a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Turn inside out; press with an iron. Hand-sew ends to the inside of stocking.