Our menu for two cuts down on time and fuss so you can enjoy this elegant meal on any night of the week -- including Valentine's. The recipes for this meal can easily be doubled; and the chocolate mousse already serves four.
The Shopping List
Pick up these ingredients for each recipe, plus pantry items if you don't already have them on hand.
1 jar (6.5 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Pepper-crusted Filet Mignon
2 filet mignons (5 to 6 ounces each)
Red Wine Sauce
1 cup red wine
3 plum tomatoes
Fresh or dried thyme
1 pound curly spinach
3/4 cup milk
Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse
2 to 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup heavy cream
We've designed this menu so that almost everything can be prepared in advance and then quickly assembled or reheated before serving. You'll be relaxed, and your kitchen will be tidy.
Up to Three Days Ahead
- Make crostini (through step 1); store in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature.
Up to One Day Ahead
- Make crostini topping (through step 2); refrigerate, covered.
- Make Creamy Spinach and Slow-Roasted Tomatoes; refrigerate, covered.
- Make Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse (through step 2); refrigerate, covered.
Up to One Hour Ahead
- Assemble and serve crostini (step 3).
30 Minutes Ahead
1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Reheat spinach over medium-low, 5 to 7 minutes (thin with water, if needed). Reheat tomatoes in oven at 325 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Make Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon and Red Wine Sauce. Remove mousse from refrigerator (step 3).