Make your own stunning planter using stones and cement.
Tools and Materials
- Plastic bin, a bit larger than desired size of finished planter
- Large, flat rocks
- Cement All Rapid Set cement
- Black acrylic paint
- Latex gloves
- Dust mask
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Two 1/2-inch dowels
- Soil, moss, and plants for finished planter
1. Fill plastic bin about halfway with sand.
2. Wet sand until it is possible to make a ball of sand with your hands. Dig a hole in the sand in the shape of the planter.
3. Place rocks around sides of hole. Level the sand in the bottom of the hole, adding more water to smooth sand, if necessary.
4. Mix 4 parts cement to 1 part water, adding a small amount of black acrylic paint to tint the water before mixing.
Tip: Wear latex gloves and a dust mask during this step.
5. Pour mixed cement in base. Push cement in between overlapping rocks, and drag cement up the sides of stones inside the planter with your fingers and hands.
6. Grease two dowels with cooking spray, and insert into cement in bottom of planter to make drain holes. Leave dowels in place while cement dries (at least 24 hours), then remove. Remove planter from sand and fill with soil and plants. Fill in cracks and spaces between rocks with moss.
All materials are available at The Home Depot and garden-supply stores.