Guest Marie Hejl demonstrated the following technique for embellishing Dr. Scholl's sandals and turning them into fashionable -- and functional -- works of art.
Tools and Materials
Blue painter's tape (3 mm)
White paper, optional
1-inch sponge brush
Acrylic paint, different colors
Sheer glossy varnish
Embellished Sandals How-To
1. Using a square of basic sandpaper, rub and wipe off Dr. Scholl's logo.
2. Place blue painter's tape along sole edge of shoe and where leather meets wood on strap (use 3 mm tape). You can also cut a small piece of white paper, folded into a square, tape it to strap.
3. Using a 1-inch sponge brush, apply acrylic paint over entire wood surface. Apply 3 coats, letting dry about 20 minutes between coats. Let dry overnight.
4. Starting at heel, apply strips of painter's tape across sandal, pressing firmly along edges.
5. Using a sponge brush, apply a different color of acrylic paint to each exposed part of the sandal.
6. Remove tape.
7. Using a sponge brush, apply 3 coats sheer glossy varnish over entire painted surface. Let dry 4 to 6 hours.
8. Remove tape from sandals.
Special thanks to Marie Hejl for demonstrating her technique for embellishing sandals. Also, thanks to Dr. Scholl's for providing each member of our audience with a pair of exercise sandals.