The instructions below are for a wood-veneer basket. To create a blue version, substitute blue printing and drawing paper for the wood veneer throughout.
Tools and Materials
- Birchwood veneer
- Small paintbrush
- Craft glue
- Filigree cupcake wrapper
- Tan cupcake liners
1. Download basket template; print, and cut out with scissors. With a pencil, trace template onto birch-wood veneer; cut out.
2. Using a small brush, apply dots of craft glue along all edges of veneer. Place an unassembled filigree cupcake wrapper on top of veneer, aligning bottom edges. Let dry. Assemble filigree wrapper: Dab tab with glue, and insert into slot. Let dry.
3. Cut 2 narrow strips of veneer: one that is 3/8 by 12 1/2 inches and one that is 3/8 by 2 3/4 inches.
4. From one end of the longer veneer strip, make a fold 3/8 inch in and another fold 2 3/8 inches in. Slip folded end of veneer strip into basket form; it should fit like a U inside bottom of form and will serve as a bottom support. Using brush, apply craft glue behind both sides of strip where they meet form. Let dry.
5. Bend top portion of long strip to form a handle, and slip inside basket form. Using brush, apply craft glue behind strip where it meets form. Let dry.
6. From both ends of shorter veneer strip, make a fold 3/8 inch in. Slip veneer strip inside basket form perpendicular to bottom support strip. Using brush, apply craft glue behind both sides of strip where they meet form. Let dry.
7. Place a tan paper cupcake liner inside basket (or white liner, for blue basket). Fill with candy, and hang from a tree limb.
Filigree cupcake wrappers in White (No. 7100-OP-WF-1), $12 for 10, from Fancy Flours.
17-by-22-inch birch-wood veneer, $10.95, and 22-by-30-inch printing and drawing paper in Light Blue, $7, from New York Central Art Supply, 800-950-6111 or nycentralart.com.
For more doily projects, click here.