Tools and Materials
6-inch length of fabric-covered floral wire (for legs)
Brown and red acrylic paint
3 large pinecone scales (for wings and tail)
1 acorn (cap removed, for head)
1 egg-shape pinecone (for body)
Red glass glitter
Pinecone Cardinal How-To
1. Using pliers, bend wire into a narrow U shape (like a hairpin). Push in curved end 1/4 inch to create a heart shape for one foot. Twist wire to form a single strand, leaving 1/4 inch untwisted at open end. Form a heart shape at open end for second foot. Bend entire wire into a U shape for legs. Paint wire brown.
2. Paint large scales, acorn, and pinecone red (cover scales completely). Let dry.
3. Cut off rounded ends of 2 large scales at an angle for wings. Cut remaining large scale to form 2 points for tail.
4. Brush curved end of legs with glue; attach to pinecone body, tucking behind scales. Bend feet.
5. Brush wide end of body with glue; attach acorn head. Brush top edges of wings and tail with glue; attach to body, tucking behind scales. Let dry.
6. Brush wings and tail with glue; sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
7. Paint on brown eyes and beak.