Hanging Snake and Frog Vellum Lanterns
Create giant gothic lanterns using nothing more than our instructions, clip-art designs, and simple supplies. This project is almost as easy as saying "abracadabra."
- Cutting mat and ruler
- 24-by-36-inch heavy black paper
- Bone folder and craft knife, marthastewartcrafts.com
- Vellum, papermojo.com
- Double-sided tape, or adhesive glue tape, save-oncrafts.com
- Wire cutters
- 19-gauge annealed wire
- Chain-nose pliers
- Clear monofilament
- Battery-operated votive candles, createforless.com
- Removable adhesive hangers, such as 3M with Command Adhesive, hardwarestore.com
- Templates and clip art: Snake 1, Snake 2, Frog
Print and cut out a lantern template. Trace template four times, side by side, on black paper (use 2 sheets if needed); with a bone folder, crease where sides meet. Cut out.
Print 4 copies of a design onto vellum; a laser printer works best. Cut each piece just larger than frame "windows." Tape vellum into frame. Form into lamp shape; tape edges.
Cut a 26-inch length of wire. In the middle, twist a loop. Poke the wire ends through paper to make 2 holes at edge of lantern. Use pliers to roll ends of wire to secure. Use monofilament to hang 2 battery-operated votive candles, taped end to end, inside the lantern.
Use twine and removable adhesive hangers to suspend the lanterns.