No Thanks
Keep In Touch With

Sign up and we'll send inspiration straight to you.

Martha Stewart takes your privacy seriously. To learn more, please read our Privacy Policy.


Cookie-Cutter Candles

With a set of graduated cookie cutters, you can make stars or other shapes in many sizes. Arrange the candles on a platter, or place them in shallow dishes of water.




  • Metal cookie cutters
  • Masking tape
  • Scissors
  • Aluminum foil
  • Petroleum jelly
  • Double boiler
  • Craft sticks (for stirring)
  • Candy thermometer
  • Metal-tabbed tea-light wicks
  • Beeswax


  1. Step 1


    To turn a cutter into a mold, run masking tape along the edge, snip at the corners, and fold the tape outward so the cutter sits flat on the foil.

  2. Step 2

    Coat molds with petroleum jelly; set aside. Place beeswax in double boiler over barely simmering water. Stir wax as it melts with craft sticks.

  3. Step 3

    When wax reaches pouring temperature (150 degrees for paraffin, 160 degrees for beeswax, or as soon as a film forms at the edge of the pan, pour into molds. Carefully lower in the tea-light wicks. After candles harden (1/2 hour to 2 hours), lift them out by their wicks. If they resist, freeze until they pop out easily. Wipe candles clean with paper towels. Trim wicks, if necessary, to 1/4 inch before lighting.



Reviews (2)

  • ndantonio 27 Nov, 2011

    We melted down old scented candles from the Pottery Barn that only burned a small amount of wax before they sputtered out. The directions are unclear. Taping aluminum foil to cookie cutters = leaky mess. We ended up setting the cutters on a metal cookie sheet that was very flat and holding the edges of the mold very firmly against the sheet for a few minutes after pouring. It wasn't easy to get the candles out of the molds either. Freezing worked.

  • Anniesfibercraftsnmore 13 Jan, 2011

    They make non-stick aluminum foil, which may work better for this craft. Also it would be worth the investment to use a soy based wax mix as parafin, and beeswax candles will soot, and can damage ceilings, draperies, and table wear.
    Just a thought. :)