No Thanks
Keep In Touch With

Sign up and we'll send inspiration straight to you.

Martha Stewart takes your privacy seriously. To learn more, please read our Privacy Policy.


Picture-Frame Card with Melissa Neufeld




Martha's friend Melissa Neufeld shared her technique for making this great picture-frame card that was inspired by a vintage Victorian celluloid frame. Our folded card is 8 by 12 inches and fits into a 6-by-8-inch envelope.


  • Two 9-by-7 sheets of paper (contrasting designs)
  • Transfer paper
  • Transfer tape
  • Picture frame card template
  • Regular and scalloped scissors
  • Wave cutter
  • 12-by-8-inch piece of card stock
  • Hole punch
  • Brad
  • 1/2-by-6 1/2-inch piece of 2-ply museum board
  • Bone folder
  • 6-by-8-inch envelope, optional


  1. Step 1

    Cut two 9-by-7 sheets of paper from two contrasting designs.

  2. Step 2

    Adhere transfer paper to back of one sheet using transfer tape. Attach the two papers, back to back.

  3. Step 3

    Trace picture frame card template on front of double-sided paper. Cut out using regular and scalloped scissors.

  4. Step 4

    Line up the four points of paper and use a wave cutter to cut an X.

  5. Step 5

    Attach frame to card: Fold a 12-by-8-inch piece of card stock in half to make a card (folded card will be 6 by 8 inches).

  6. Step 6

    Lay frame right side up on top of card. Where you cut an X in the middle of the paper, you will have 4 V shapes meeting in the middle. Pull the top of the V back to meet the top of the frame. Secure by punching a hole through frame and front of card.

  7. Step 7

    Secure with a brad inserted front to back. Repeat for remaining 3 points, pulling each to the outside edges of frame.

  8. Step 8

    Keep card closed and trim about 1/2 outside the scalloped part of the card to match the design. All the straight lines of the exterior part of the card will not be cut.

  9. Step 9

    Add the easel: Score a 1/2-by-6 1/2-inch piece of 2-ply museum board with a bone folder, 1 1/2 inches down from one shorter end. Tape easel to inside front cover of card so that card can be cut in half along the fold and the front used as a frame.

  10. Step 10

    To insert picture in the frame, remove one of the brads and slide in picture. Replace brad.

Martha Stewart Living Television



Reviews (34)

  • perk123 2 May, 2011

    Sorry. I cannot find a wave cutter. Would you mind to tell me where to find one?
    Thank You

  • geoferr 17 Apr, 2010

    Missed hitting a key: Step 9 is unclear.

  • geoferr 17 Apr, 2010

    Step 8 is incomprehensible and step is even worse.

    And when would the card be cut in half and why?

  • MCct 30 Sep, 2009


  • rmille1 15 Mar, 2009

    I made these using fusible web as the adhesive. Worked great.

  • JourneyAndLandscapeCom 11 Feb, 2009

    I use actual OLD vintage valentines for similar projects. When the cards are vintage (but not extremely valuable), it's great to them into a new keepsake. I think this project has yet another layer of appeal if actual old paper is used. :)

  • debhoss 8 Feb, 2009

    It appears the card pictured has at least one layer added. Now that's a dirty trick. It also seems that they used NO straight edged scissors in the cutting.

  • Suzieqz71 20 Jan, 2009

    I would love to see a video of this. I am just starting and already confused. Help!!!

  • schmee 19 Jan, 2009

    If you do not mind a bit of a mess use Super 77 Spray adhesive for attaching 2 sheets of paper together. It is available at ALL hardware type stores (OSH, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE etc.) After spraying one sheet, press sheets together burnish slightly to get maximum adhesion.

  • kathiguam 19 Jan, 2009

    Step by step photos would help the project move faster. I'm confused on the first read but still might give it a try, timer permitting.

  • irishbrod 19 Jan, 2009

    this is such a great idea can"t wait to try it. thanks!

  • inajam 19 Jan, 2009

    If you use double-sided papers, you won't need the transfer tapes. I've made these for years. They're fun and people love them!

  • inajam 19 Jan, 2009

    If you use double-sided papers, you won't need the transfer tapes. I've made these for years. They're fun and people love them!

  • LinnaSue 25 Apr, 2008

    Does anyone know if "transfer tape" is the same thing as "3M 568PMA position-able mounting adhesive?" I've been searching for days, and that's all I can find? I found it on 2 different sites. 16x50 roll for $37.66.

  • Julitime 10 Apr, 2008

    Adding to my comments, I also discovered by practicing that this project can be altered by cutting with a variety of specialty scissors and altering the design of the template, and even used a 3rd contrasting paper. I'm going to try this in miniature and even polymer clay! Anyone interested?

  • Julitime 10 Apr, 2008

    I too didn't understand the transfer paper/tape, thinking it to be a lamination process, and I also didn't understand the wave cutter. Is it like a pizza cutter with a scalloped/decorative edge?

    With the need of 2 papers, I figured the transfer paper was for adherence and practiced using plain scrap papers and double-stick tape. Worked beautifully. I also used transparency film to protect the photo.

  • KACarpenter 8 Apr, 2008

    A Xyron adhesive machine will work very well for this type of project in place of transfer paper and tape. This segment was originally aired quite some time ago on the previous Martha Stewart Living television show and Xyron may not have been as widely available as it is now.

  • zandoodle 30 Mar, 2008

    i have tried to get information on where to get the transfer paper and no one knows what i am talking about, i need information, is it called something else by chance

  • sassiKat 24 Feb, 2008

    Oops! It cut off the end of the link. . . let's try once more: MatBoardFoamBoard/WhatMatBoard.htm
    Sheesh, this says that it allows 500 characters, it seems as tho it is about 3 short! Grrrrr! Frustrating!! Any other questions, will try2 answer. . . know many ?'s were asked awhile back - we just got here for templates this am.

  • sassiKat 24 Feb, 2008

    Re; 2 ply Museum Board. . . The term 'ply' refers to the thickness of the board (museum, book, mat, chip or card). I believe these 5 boards R rated in order of best - worst. b4 I continue, I want U all2know that I do NOT own this company or know any1 associated with'em. They just have my answers. Check this link:

  • sassiKat 24 Feb, 2008

    Transfer Paper info ctd. What i attempted to finish with was. . . if U do lots of paper crafting AND Bookmaking, then the roll is worth it! Additionally, I've been looking for the 3M ATG 700 Adhesive Gun at a good price for awhile (Many of you will know what I mean - it's the HUGE double sided tape dispenser) . . . The $ on that is Gr8 too!! In fact, take a look at their whole site.

  • sassiKat 24 Feb, 2008

    Transfer Paper Information
    I just received ny transfer paper a couple of days ago. I did lots of searching, and found this place to be the cheapest by a mile. . . here is the info: 16X50 ft. roll 37.66 7.79 = $45.45 TOTAL I decided to call and order, 'cause I had a couple of ?'s. Nice Folk! U can also order online if you know xactly what you want. They have the tape2. If you do lots of paper crafting

  • Stampress 8 Feb, 2008

    what exactly is the '2-ply museum board' ? I didn't see that menioned in the show.
    any ideas?

  • Terpoohbear 19 Jan, 2008

    I just used Peel and Stick double sided adhesive I got at Joanns..also did find some double sided scrapbook paper and love it just not too many choices and I have had fun with the ones I have made also..I did not see the whole show so I do not know what the transfer tape is used for so I just used double sided tape to attach it to my card..worked fine.

  • djelliott 19 Jan, 2008

    I, too, think that the picture is not the same as the instructions. There is clearly a bottom frame (in white), a frame slightly larger than the 'template' frame, and a 2-sided template frame. It is this middle frame *scalloped around all edges) that the instructions do not mention.

    PS Why use transfer paper--why not 2-sided scrapbook paper?? Just wondering.

  • pressedfortime 18 Jan, 2008

    OK ... I'M BACK

  • pressedfortime 18 Jan, 2008


  • pressedfortime 18 Jan, 2008

    OOPS! I cut myself off, I was saying, that the 9"x!2" double sided adhesive sheets made by 3M also come in 50' rolls in widths of 11", 16"

  • pressedfortime 18 Jan, 2008

    I wanted to add, that in searching for the 13"x180' roll of Transfer Tape made by 3M, I did find that 3M makes those 9"x12" double sided adhesive sheets that jessieanne21 found, thank you :). For those of you looking for these, the 3M rep said they make the same double sided adhesive in 50' long rolls and come in 11", 16"

  • pressedfortime 18 Jan, 2008

    I am also looking for the 3M 13" x 180' ROLL of TRANSFER TAPE. I called 3M and they gave me a product line # of 467MP from the industrial division, and said that it could only be purchased from their web site. Even with that info, I still could'nt find the EXACT ROLL shown on the show. HAS ANYONE FOUND WHERE TO BUY THIS?

  • Terpoohbear 17 Jan, 2008

    I think it was easy once I used the double sided adhesive. But I noticed that the template is different than the picture I am wondering if there is another template for the one pictured. Also I did not like the brads showing on the inside so I only used them on the frame and adhered the frame on 3 sides with double sided tape and it looks much better...

  • jessieanne21 13 Jan, 2008

    google "double sided adhesive sheets" sells 3 9"x12" sheets for about $5.00 or you can check ebay but may have to buy a larger quantity or a whole role depending on how many cards you plan to make. Hope this helped. Good luck!

  • jessieanne21 13 Jan, 2008

    google "double sided adhesive sheets" sells 3 9"x12" sheets for about $5.00 or you can check ebay but may have to buy a larger quantity or a whole role depending on how many cards you plan to make. Hope this helped. Good luck!

  • craftgirlof8 11 Jan, 2008

    Can't seem to locate the transfer paper or transfer tape.....have checked everywhere!!