Page Marchese Norman created this clever (and, well, cozy) cover for Sarah's new LCD TV. "It also added a little more color to the room," says Page.
1. Measure the length (top to bottom) of the television screen; add 1 inch to this measurement for seam allowance. Then, measure the depth of the screen. Add this to the total length. Lastly, multiply this measurement by 2 to cover both the front and back of the television. For the cozy pictured, Page left the base of the television exposed; if you want to cover the entire television, measure from the top of the screen to the table it will be sitting on, adding 1 inch for seam allowance and multiplying this measurement by 2 to cover both the front and back of the television.
2. Measure the depth of the screen. Then measure the width of the screen. (You will need to add 1/2 inch on each side for seam allowance.)
3. Select desired fabric and cut to your specific measurements.
4. Fold fabric square in half, with the desired side of fabric facing in.
5. Sew 1/2 inch in on both short ends to create a hem.
6. Sew up the left and right sides with a straight stitch allowing for 1/2-inch hem.
7. Next, you will need to create a gusset, which is a simple triangular insert that creates a box edge that tailor-fits the cozy to the television screen. To create the gusset, pinch the corner of the top-right seam of the cozy. The pinch should be parallel to the seam hanging down the side of the cozy; it will form a triangular shape. Stitch a seam across right above where the fabric begins to taper.
8. Cut off any excess fabric from triangle. Repeat with top left corner.
9. Turn right side out and slip over television.