Make a decorative linen pillow adorned with charming felt animals -- perfect for any child's bedroom.
Tools and Materials
Farm animal templates 1, 2, and 3
Sea animal templates 1 and 2
100 percent wool felt in a variety of colors
Sharp fabric scissors
1 yard cotton canvas fabric
Fabri-Tac fabric glue
Machine-sewing thread in same color as canvas
18-by-18-inch pillow form
Animal Silhouette Pillow How-To
2. Place one animal shape face down on felt. With a hot, dry iron, press the back of the paper to transfer the shape to the felt. Press the iron down heavily and rub vigorously until the shape is transferred. Repeat with all the animal shapes on different colors of felt.
3. Cut all animal shapes from the felt.
4. Cut three pieces of cotton canvas: one 19-by-19-inch piece, one 14-by-19-inch piece, and one 13-by-19-inch piece. Set the two smaller pieces aside.
5. Lay out the felt animals on the large square canvas piece as you would like them on the front of the pillow. Start with the large shapes and fill in gaps with the smaller ones. When you are happy with the design, tack the animals down with fabric glue.
6. With thread that matches the canvas, machine-sew around the animals to secure them, about 1/8 inch within the edge of the felt. Sew slowly and with patience; when turning corners, bring the needle down and lift the presser foot to reposition the fabric.
7. Create a half-inch hem on one of the long sides of both of the smaller canvas pieces. For the 14-by-19-inch piece, fold the hemmed side down another 2 1/2 inches, and press.
8. Create the back of the pillow with a pocket opening. Lay the appliqued piece face up on a flat surface. Place the hemmed and folded piece on top of the appliqued piece, with the 2 1/2-inch folded edge facing up, and match the raw edges with the top of the appliqued piece. Place the other hemmed piece on top of both, right side facing down, and match the raw edges with the bottom of the appliqued piece. Pin all pieces in place.
9. Sew around all four sides with a half-inch seam allowance. Clip the corners, being careful not to cut into the seam. Turn the pillow right-side out and turn the corners out to a point with a bone folder. Insert pillow form.
100 percent wool felt from Magic Cabin. Fabri-Tac fabric glue from Beacon Adhesives. If you don't have access to a laser printer at home, office and copy stores can usually laser-print for you at a low cost. All other tools and materials are available at crafts and fabric stores. A Singer Confidence sewing machine was used on the show.