Pledge allegiance to this festive flag stand. We put it on top of a two-tiered cake stand to create a mini cupcake monument.
Tools and Materials
4 1/2-inch wooden plaque
Two-tiered cake stand
Circular wooden piece (optional)
Flag Stand How-To
1. Prime and print wooden finial and plaque. Mark three spots on the base of wooden plaque, evenly spaced and 1/4 inch from the edge. Drill 1/8-inch pilot holes (smaller hole), and then increase the size of drill bit. (This will make cleaner holes.)
2. Drill holes the diameter of the flag dowels in the wooden base, using the marks as a guide.
3. Drill a hole the diameter of a flag dowel in the same manner as above on the top of the wooden finial.
4. Attach the finial to the wooden base. Drill a hole in center of plaque slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw (if finial does not have a screw end, attach to plaque with wood glue). (A circular wooden piece can be added in the middle for height if desired.)
5. Insert flag dowels into the drilled holes in the base and the finial. If necessary, sand them until they fit snugly in the holes.
Mounted cotton flags: 8 by 12 inches (No. 010230), and 4 by 6 inches (No. 010229), from American Flags Express, 262-783-4800 or flagsexpress.com.