A quick hoop is a low tunnel that gives plants extra protection in cold weather. Acting as a mini-greenhouse, the inexpensive structure allows you to grow vegetables year-round.
Tools and Materials
- 3/4-inch galvanized electrical conduit (EMT), cut into 2 or more 10-foot lengths
- 1-inch medium snap clamps
- 12 by 20-inch sandbags
- Pipe bender
- Agribon row cover
- Plastic Tuflite greenhouse film
Quick Hoop How-To
1. Using a pipe bender, shape metal conduit into semi-circular hoops. Insert hoops into the ground in a row, with ends of each hoop on either side of the planting area.
2. Cover the hoops with an Agribon row cover. Place plastic greenhouse film on top, securing both cover and film with snap clamps.
3. Place sandbags on the ground on the edges of the plastic to hold it down.
Watch videos of a quick hoop installation at the White House and a quick hoops bender demonstration.
Galvanized electrical conduit pipe available from The Home Depot. Snap clamps available from Charley's Greenhouse and Garden. Sandbags available from Uline. Quick hoops bender, Abribon row cover, and Tufflite greenhouse film available from Johnny's Selected Seeds.