Soft, shimmering yarns make the most of this basic pattern. We used two yarns -- one ivory mohair and one sequined novelty yarn. A simple technique called grafting is used to close the toe and heel, or you can hand-sew them closed using mohair yarn.
Tools and Materials
Needles: 4 double-pointed knitting needles and 1 tapestry needle. Adjust size to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 5 stitches per inch
Kid mohair yarn, in Snow (No. 250), and beaded silk and sequin yarn, in Snow (No. 250S); both by Artyarns, from Fabulousyarn, 845-757-4322.
Wool felt (WF23), 18 by 18 inches, in white, from A Child's Dream Come True, 800-359-2906.
Novelty wool fabric, in ivory, from B&J Fabrics, 212-354-8150.
Cup loose sequins (No. 34425), in Oyster White, and velvet ribbon (No. 02416), in Ivory; both from M&J Trimming, 800-965-8746.
Mohair Stockings How-To
1. Make the cuff: Using 1 strand of mohair and 1 strand of sequined novelty yarn, cast 56 stitches onto double-pointed needles. Divide stitches among 3 double-pointed needles, and join in the round.
2. Knit 1 row, purl 1 row. Repeat for 3 inches.
3. Make the leg: Knit every round for 7 inches. (At this point, the stocking's length should measure 10 inches.)
4. Make the heel opening: Knit 28 stitches of next round. Using scrap yarn as your working yarn, knit 28 stitches. Then slip these stitches back onto the needle they came from. With your main yarn, knit across the scrap-yarn stitches and continue to the end of the round.
5. Make the foot: Knit every round for 4 inches. (At this point, the stocking's length should measure 14 inches.)
6. Decrease for the toe: Knit 12, knit 2 together twice, knit 24, knit 2 together twice, knit 12. For the next round: Knit 11, knit 2 together twice, knit 22, knit 2 together twice, knit 11. Continue decreasing in this way until 10 stitches in total remain.
7. Close the toe: Thread a tapestry needle with yarns (1 strand mohair and 1 strand sequined), and use it to graft the stitches together. (See Grafting How-To.)
8. Make the heel: Carefully remove the scrap yarn. As you do so, a hole will form with a series of loops above and below it. Pass 1 empty double-pointed needle through the top 14 stitches and another through the bottom 14 stitches. With a third needle and a new piece of yarn, knit the 14 stitches on the bottom row, pick up and knit 2 stitches at the end of the hole, which is the heel opening. Now knit the 14 stitches on the top row. Pick up and knit another 2 stitches at the opposite end of heel opening. Knit 1 round.
9. Decrease for the heel: Knit 2 together, knit 12, knit 2 together twice, knit 12, knit 2 together. For the next row: Knit 2 together, knit 10, knit 2 together twice, knit 10, knit 2 together. Continue decreasing in this way until 10 stitches in total remain.
10. Close the heel: Thread a tapestry needle with yarns (1 strand mohair and 1 strand sequined), and use it to graft the stitches together as you did for the toe.