Paper ribbons inscribed with the words "America the Beautiful" dress up accordion-style lanterns. Tuck LED tea lights inside for a safe glow. You can also learn how to make the bald eagle lanterns.
Tools and Materials
- 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper or 11-by-17-inch paper
- Accordion lantern, available at Anderson's Giant Party Store
- Hot glue and hot-glue gun
- Glue stick
Paper Lantern How-To
1. Print and cut ribbon clip art in red or blue and circle clip art for bottom. If using 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper, choose small ribbon clip art; if using 11-by-17-inch paper, choose large ribbon clip art.
2. Open lantern. For large ribbons, follow instructions as written; for small ribbons, start by gluing ribbons about 1 inch from the edge of the lantern bottom. Continue with instructions as written.
Hot-glue 1 end of each of 4 ribbons to lantern bottom, forming a cross shape. Tack ribbons along lantern sides using dabs of glue at ribs. Fold ribbons over lantern's open end; trim excess. Glue in place.
3. Using hot glue, attach circle to lantern bottom. With a glue stick, adhere 4 more ribbons in pairs, back to back, making 2 double-sided streamers. Curl streamers around a pencil; hot-glue to lantern.
Get the Blue Clip Art
Get the Red Clip Art