Oil and water may not mix, but in the case of essential oils, they form a divine -- and useful -- combination. Extracted from leaves, fruit peels, petals, and other plant parts, essential oils capture nature's subtle fragrances and can even balance your mood, aromatherapists say.
Some, like peppermint and eucalyptus, are believed to be stimulating and uplifting; others, like lavender and frankincense, are considered relaxing and centering. These mists are the simplest way to experience aromatherapy for yourself. Spray the air around you, mist your hair and skin, or spritz them on linens to leave a light scent. (They won't stain.) Whether you're stressed or sluggish, one of these mists will suit your mood.
Text by Donna Garlough.
- Mini spray bottle
- Distilled water
- For The Pick-Me-Up: 1 drop eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
- 2 drops geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
- 3 drops peppermint (Mentha piperita)
- For The Calm-Me-Down: 2 drops bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
- 1 drop frankincense (Boswellia carteri)
- 3 drops lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Fill a clean, dry mini spray bottle with 4 ounces of pure distilled water.
Using a dropper, carefully put the selected blend of essential oils directly into the spray bottle.
Tightly close the bottle and shake vigorously to combine. Be sure to shake it before each use, as the water and essential oils tend to separate.