Transform a wool cardigan into a charming dog coat -- your furry friend will enjoy the extra warmth.
Tools and Materials
Felted cardigan (For instructions on felting a sweater, take a look at this felted hat craft.)
Blunt-ended tapestry needle
Black wool yarn
Optional: pearl or crystal beads
Wool Cardigan Dog Coat How-To
1. Before making the coat, measure your dog to make sure the felted cardigan is big enough to be cut down to fit. Turn cardigan inside out.
2. Mark sweater with tailor's chalk in two places: 1) In a straight line from the underarm, and perpendicular to the sleeve seam, so that the sleeve forms a cap. 2) Right above the ribs of the cuff (save cuffs). Cut where marked.
3. Put cardigan on dog, inside out.
4. Pin a dart from the neck down the shoulder and onto the cap sleeve. (This reduces the width of the armhole.) You may need to remove 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches of knitted fabric. Pin along dog's chest and stomach, taking up most of the excess knitted fabric.
5. Carefully remove cardigan from the dog. On a sewing machine, stitch down where pinned (along shoulder and back of cardigan), and then trim the excess.
6. Slip the cuff inside the end of the sleeve and sew the cuff on, using a tapestry needle with a blunt end, black wool yarn, and decorative running stitches.
7. For added decorative detail, sew pearls or crystals to the neck along the base of the neck ribbing, starting at the button band. For decorative effect, make one running stitch in between each pearl.
Special thanks to Joanna Osborne and Sally Muir, authors of "Pet Projects: Animal Knits Bible," for sharing this lovely craft. Check out more of their designs in the adorable dog fashion show.