Meatballs are a hearty addition to pasta dishes, soups, sauces, and sandwiches. Their preparation is hands-on; use your hands to form them into rounds of a desired size. Freeze cooked meatballs to add them to a favorite sauce at a later time.
Other ingredients that you can use for meatballs include turkey, chicken, lamb, and fish.
Tips for Flavorful Meatballs
- Add flavorful spices, aromatics, and other ingredients to meatball mixtures, including parsley, oregano, garlic, nutmeg, onion, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, cheese, and shallots. Cooking the onions and garlic before adding them to the mixture helps bring out their flavor.
- Use beef with a bit of fat to keep meatballs from being dry and tasteless.
- Milk and eggs make meatballs moist.
- Season the meatball mixture with salt and pepper. A good way to test the seasoning is by poaching or frying a sample. Adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Sauteing meatballs before adding them to a sauce or soup forms a crust, which helps keep them from falling apart.