Per serving: 178 calories; 3 g protein;14 g fat; 13 g carb
- Yield: Serves 16
Photography: Kirsten Strecker
Source: Body+Soul, Volume 6 November/December 2005
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons light olive or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans; set aside. In a food processor, combine nuts, flours, sugar, and salt; pulse until nuts are finely ground but not oily. Add the butter, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice; pulse until the mixture just comes together.
Divide the mixture between the two pans and press in until even. With a sharp knife, cut each round of dough into 8 wedges. Lightly prick the tops with the tines of a fork. Bake until set and pale tan, about 22 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack and cut through each wedge. Cool 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.