Macadamia Butter-Crunch Popcorn
Pair this buttery, nutty, crunchy treat with our Chocolate-Almond Popcorn.
- Yield: Makes about 30 cups
Photography: Lisa Hubbard
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2004
- 25 cups (from about 1 cup kernels) popped popcorn
- 4 cups raw whole macadamia nuts, toasted (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Put popcorn in a large bowl. Add the nuts; set aside. Put sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a gentle simmer, about 4 minutes. Stop stirring; continue cooking until mixture lightens in color, 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda.
Pour sugar mixture over popcorn and nuts; toss to coat. Transfer to rimmed baking sheets; bake, stirring every 20 minutes, until almost dry, about 1 hour. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.