You loved our cornbread hors d'oeuvres baked in mini-muffin tins, so we found a way to make them even more scrumptious. Mix in one of the sweet, savory, or spicy flavor combinations below, or create your own. You'll have appetizers to feed an army, or at least a few dozen of your closest friends.
For the Batter
- Unsalted butter, softened, or vegetable oil cooking spray, for tin
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno chile
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons caramelized onion
- 1 1/2 strips cooked bacon, broken into small pieces
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 12-cup mini-muffin tin or coat with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Combine buttermilk, egg, and oil. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. Divide batter into 3 batches (1 cup each), and stir a flavor combination into each.
Fill cups of muffin tin three-quarters full with 1 batch of batter. Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 5 minutes. Turn out muffins from tin. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.