Broiled Yogurt-Ginger Chicken Breasts
This recipe for broiled yogurt-ginger chicken is from the Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, "The New Classics."
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1 piece (5 inches) peeled fresh ginger, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each), tenderloin removed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
Stir together the yogurt, ginger, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Starting on one long side, cut each chicken breast almost in half horizontally, stopping about 1/2 inch before reaching the opposite side. Open each breast like a book.
Add chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, toss together red onion, cucumber, cilantro, lime juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and pinch of salt.
Transfer chicken to a broiler pan. Discard marinade. Broil chicken, rotating pan once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Top with cucumber mixture.