- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2000
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups homemade Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 small bunch chives, snipped with scissors
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium ovenproof saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and mustard seed, and saute until onion is just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables become soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add rice and salt. Stir well to combine. Add chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Cover tightly with a lid, and place in the oven. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente, about 17 minutes.
Remove from oven. Fluff with a fork, and stir in snipped chives. Serve immediately.