Fava Bean, Parmesan, and Almond Salad
- Yield: Makes about 3 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2007
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (about 3 ounces)
- 3 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan or aged provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- Crostini, for serving
Preheat oven to 375. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in oven until golden brown and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely. Chop very coarsely; set aside.
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fava beans, and cook 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice-water bath to stop the cooking. Squeeze beans from skins (you should have about 2 cups).
Whisk oil, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add almonds, beans, cheese, and mint; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or let stand at room temperature up to 1 hour. Salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 day. Serve with Crostini