- Yield: Makes one 8-inch square
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November Holiday 2002
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan, and set aside. Whisk together cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Add this mixture to cornmeal mixture, and stir until well combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before removing from pan.