Glazed Carrots with Orange and Ginger
Dress up carrots with an orange and ginger glaze for an extra-tasty side dish that enhances any menu.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
- Yield: Serves 6
Source: Everyday Food, November 2008
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths, halved if thick
- 1 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon thinly sliced orange zest
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots; cook, stirring once, until beginning to brown, 2 minutes.
Add broth, orange zest, fresh orange juice, and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 10 minutes. Uncover, and cook over medium-high until carrots are tender and liquid is syrupy, 7 to 9 minutes more (there should be only a small amount of liquid remaining).
Remove skillet from heat; add butter, and swirl skillet until melted. Season with salt and pepper.