These fritters make the most of the bounty from the garden.
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 1999
- 1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (1 lemon) plus
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges (optional)
- 10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, stems removed and leaves finely chopped, plus more sprigs for garnish (optional)
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini into a medium bowl. Add the salt, lemon zest, chopped parsley, garlic, pepper, and eggs. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan if necessary. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired; serve.