This hearty, fresh version of the popular Italian soup is packed with vegetables, beans, and flavor -- and takes a mere 10 minutes in the microwave.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, December 2006
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces green beans, stem ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
In a 3-quart microwave-safe dish, place oil, carrots, bell pepper, green beans, and garlic; stir to coat. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Add couscous, broth, tomato paste, navy beans, 1 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Cover; microwave on high until vegetables and couscous are tender, 5 minutes. If desired, stir in parsley, and garnish with cheese.