Spinach Linguine with Ham and Broccoli
Choose a good, strongly flavored Parmesan cheese for this recipe, and grate it yourself. Also, save time by cooking the broccoli in the same pot with the pasta. And you'll have one less pot to clean.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2004
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 ounces cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 10 ounces spinach linguine
- 1 head broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick, florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a 3-quart heavy-bottom saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add ham, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.
Stir in milk, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese; cook until melted, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions, adding broccoli during final 3 minutes. Drain; transfer pasta and broccoli to a large bowl. Add cream-cheese sauce and Parmesan, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.