Shiitake Fried Rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 11/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced, peeled ginger (from a 2-inch piece)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; add rice. Boil until rice is al dente, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water; drain again.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add eggs; season with salt and pepper and cook until set, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool; roll up and thinly slice crosswise.
In same skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms, garlic, ginger, and red-pepper flakes; season with salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until shiitakes are tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Add rice, eggs, edamame, scallions, lime juice, and soy sauce. Cook, tossing, until rice is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
SourceBody+Soul, October 2008