Herbed Mashed Potatoes
These herbed mashed potatoes are a perfect complement to a early fall dinner.
- 6 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon each of chopped fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme
- 4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cornmeal Fried Tomatoes
Put potato chunks in a large saucepan over high heat and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and all the herbs except parsley and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and cover, allowing herbs to infuse for 15 minutes.
Drain potatoes well and pass through a food mill (or use a masher). Add butter and gradually stir in cream until potatoes have the desired consistency (you may not use all the cream).
Stir in parsley, season with additional salt and pepper, and serve immediately. Serve with cornmeal fried tomatoes.