This stock is also delicious in chowders (use in place of seafood stock) and risottos (add a handful of cooked corn kernels just before removing from heat).
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 corncobs, reserved from Gnudi with Roasted-Corn Sauce, broken into pieces
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 7 whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 cups water
Melt butter in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add corncobs, celery, carrot, onion, jalapeno, garlic, peppercorns, and herbs, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
Pour through a fine sieve, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids. Stock can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, August 2007